Reaching well beyond my grasp

I am here because I have been inspired. The Bloodbowl community has created some amazing customised teams and I have decided I'd like to try building my own team.

I have never done this before, my painting skills are mediocre at best and my modelling skills....well non existent. This is in all likelihood a doomed journey. But I hope it gives others of my skill level and ambition the courage to try.

This is my first attempt at blogging, so some things I feel you should know.
The good blogs out there post on a weekly basis, yeah... this isn't going to be one of those good blogs.
Also I take terrible photos. Really. You have been warned.

UPDATE: I have added a Lessons Learnt page. Here I note little tips I learn as I go along. A summary of things that may help others who decide to give kit bashing a go.

Friday 6 July 2018

Painted line up so far

It has been a long while since I posted anything. I have been slowly painting up the team and wanted to share where I am up to and some thoughts I had on painting in general.

First things first, I am not very good at painting. It is not part of the hobby I particularly enjoy. Because of this I tend to spend the minimum amount of time as necessary to get miniatures to the table. This time around however, I took a bit of time and even spent some time on the web to watch a few videos and to look at the best GW paint combinations to use for oranges and Orc skin.

My general method of painting is to do a light coloured base coat and then use inks and Glazes to finish off. I just find it quicker that way. This time I followed the layering method.

Photos have been taken with my phone, so I can only apologise for the poor quality and composition.

 This was the first team model I painted, a Lineman. I was really please with the way the orc skin shading and highlighting came out.  The "tiger" stripes were a bit too thick.

 The 2nd Lineman was a massive improvement on the first I felt. The stripes looked much better to me.


A Pair of Goblins for the team. I varied the areas that were painted black and orange compared to the Orcs. I also didn't give them any tiger stripes, it was more of a back ground decision. I felt that the Goblins would not have 'earned' the stripes the eyes of the Orcs.

The Goblins also gave me a chance to try a lighter skin tone.



I am really pleased with the four blizters.









Even though the Black Orcs were the first models I put together they ended up being the last to paint out of all the models I had put together.  I learnt an important lesson when trying to paint them. Most of them had face guards, or bits of amour on top of other bits of armour. When trying to paint these models I found the faces and upper body areas hard to get to with a paint brush. Obviously I painted inside and worked out, but it was still a bit fiddly. I guess I should have painted some of the model while it was still in pieces.





I have to say that I am really please with how the team have turned out so far. There are a few more touches that I need to do the models. Add transfers and numbers, base all of them etc.

I think these are the best I've painted and quite proud of them. I feel I got a little better with each model I painted. I began to notice little details in technique. The consistency of the paint, the size of brush to use, amount of paint on the brush, brush control, using the the point or the edge of the brush for different areas.

Using the layer method was also easier then I thought it would be. I think the key for me was when I realised where I wanted one layer to end and another to start. making sure each layer was visible in the right place.

I'm not an expert painter now, not even close, but I do feel a lot more confident in my own ability.

Next is to work on the throwers and then decide how I want to paint the troll.

2 comments: