Reaching well beyond my grasp

I am here because I have been inspired. The Bloodbowl community has created some amazing customised teams and I have decided I'd like to try building my own team.

I have never done this before, my painting skills are mediocre at best and my modelling skills....well non existent. This is in all likelihood a doomed journey. But I hope it gives others of my skill level and ambition the courage to try.

This is my first attempt at blogging, so some things I feel you should know.
The good blogs out there post on a weekly basis, yeah... this isn't going to be one of those good blogs.
Also I take terrible photos. Really. You have been warned.

UPDATE: I have added a Lessons Learnt page. Here I note little tips I learn as I go along. A summary of things that may help others who decide to give kit bashing a go.

Sunday 10 September 2017

The Orc thrower kit-bashing dilemma

When it comes to the throwers I find myself in a bit of a quandary. The Kits I have been using so have have been really good to make the Orc bloodbowl team I want. But none of them have anything I want to use for my throwers.

Now I have some ideas of what I would like my throwers to be doing. I think the standard thrower pose that you get for most teams is okay, but a bit unOrcky. The one arm outstretched pointing at something across the field the other holding the ball, arm bent ready to throw. You know the one I mean.


I just think an Orc would never look that accomplished at throwing.
My idea is to get an Orc thrower to look like it is doing a rugby throw in. Two hands on the ball just above their head.






To me that feels and looks how an orc would throw the ball.

So I find myself in a situation where I could just add the standard bloodbowl orc thrower miniature, which would look fine and in keeping with the squad with some minor armour adjustments, or I could buy some miniatures to make the throwers I won't. The big thing here is cost and to a lesser extent time.

With the current range of GW models I could have just bought an Orc team. Kit bashing is the more expensive option. If there was a team not yet available that you want, then kit bashing one is a good option, but if the team is available, like the orcs are, it becomes a balance between cost and creative freedom. I really like how my Orc team is looking, I like that it will be different to the standard orc teams. But is it worth it to buy some more models just to make the 2 throwers? Sure I have an idea of what I want them to look and I have seen a couple of models that would do the trick.


This guy is almost exactly what I am after. Head looking up slightly, one foot in front, correct armour. I would just need to work on his arms. they are up in the correct direction, they just need to be bent at the elbows, coming together to hold a ball. I say "just"; I actually have no idea, how to do that, if it is possible, and more importantly, if it possible for me to achieve.

 The Ardboyz Orruk kit I have includes a couple of arms holding an axe or mace in both hands. Again this is almost the right pose. I would need somehow reshape the hands to be more open to hold a ball. This would be highly fiddly, and require high levels of accuracy when cutting. Some green stuff work would also be required.

Then there are these guys. I mean look at them! They are 90% there already! Would need armour and thats about it. They how ever come part of another kit. Should I buy a whole kit of 20 odd models just for those two?

I know I said I didn't want to use the non-classic thrower pose, but you know what? I like this guy for it. The lifted leg and pot belly sells it for me. Again a bit of work with the hand that would have the ball and armour requirements.

So that is where I am with the thowers undecided. Ultimately it comes down to create freedom and following through on my design/theme ideas, or just filling in at the fraction of the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment